Monday, October 3, 2011

Are you secure in your insecurities?



JAMES 5:16 "Therefore confess your sins to each other and
pray for each other so that you may be healed.
The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." (NIV)

PSALMS 116:2 "Because He has inclined His ear to me,
Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live" (NKJV)


This week I hope to begin participating in Pray for Me Mondays hosted by Home Grown Families and Pamela over at Troop Petrie. Basically, it works like this: both blogs are hosting this blog link-up and will post about relevant topics and may perhaps have a prayer request and will pray together with their readers, coming together in agreement to go before the Throne of Grace.

This week's topic is about dealing with insecurities.

AYE YI YI!

Most people, who know me intimately, know that I am an introvert by nature. Being awkward and clumsy both physically and verbally, it is much easier to keep things on the surface for instances like group meetings or outings but it does not develop rich and loving relationships with other women of God that I desire.

A confession...this is something I have struggled with greatly most of my life and while God has helped me much as I grow older, there are still many times that I struggle with the thoughts, that will snowball if I do not cast my cares on Him. See if any of this sounds familiar:

~ "They just tolerate me."
~ "I don't know how to do it, would just mess up."
~ "They will think I'm nuts if I say/do that."
~ "There are others who can do this better than I, time to give it up."
~ "I have no true friends, just lots of acquaintances."
~ "I'm not a good enough wife, mom, friend, worker, etc."
~ "I'll never be as good as so-n-so at this or that."

That's just a sampling of things that can run through your mind when you are in the throes of insecurity. And I want you to take just a moment and really look at those comments. What do they have in common?

Not one of them is focused on God!

Instead of focusing on the opportunities He provides, we focus on the lack or what we suppose others might think or worse, we compare ourselves to others. That comparison steals any joy or confidence in Him that we might have. It robs us of blessing others.

Recently on Facebook, Dr. Caroline Leaf's status read: "Brainy Fact: A woman's anterior central gyrus (ACG) is larger than a man's. That means she can get stuck on negative emotions more easily."

The enemy knows this! He knows that we are responsible for the atmosphere in our homes and the world around us. He knows that we are by nature, nurturers and encouragers of our husbands, children, family and friends. If he can get us focused on ourselves and our issues, then we are incapacitated to do the work God has laid out for us. We cannot encourage well when we are discouraged.

So, how do we combat this? GO TO THE WORD!

First of all, whether from your own mind or the enemy, know that insecurity is a branch off of fear. The Bible tells us, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love" (I John 4:18, KJV). We know from reading the earlier verses in that chapter of I John, that God is love.

The next time you find yourself falling into negative thinking because of insecurity, ask yourself these questions... Where am I focused? Am I focused on God and His perfect love or am I focused on myself/others. Will I trust in what God tells me, that He can cast out this fear or will I continue the cycle of negative emotions which will affect not only myself, but my family, friends and the world around me? How will this witness and show God's love to others? Will I allow this insecurity to rule my life or will I make the choice to lay down what my flesh desires and instead stand secure in the will of God?

Again, not always easy to think about and stop, but as time goes by it does get easier and happens more quickly, then it becomes a conscious choice to continue in fear or continue in the path God laid before you.

Pray for me about this and I will pray for you.

Now, I do have a prayer request. Recently a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. She went in to have it removed and they discovered that the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes. God is a God of healing if it's His will. He may have another purpose we might not understand. No matter what, I would request prayer for peace for her and her daughter, as well as that His will be done and that this woman be reached for Him and that she shine His love through the entire ordeal.

If you have a prayer request, please feel free to post on this blog or be sure to visit Home Grown Families and Troop Petrie and add your request(s) there. You can also find the linkup for your own blog, if you wish to participate in that way.

Much love and prayers,


No comments:

Post a Comment