Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Looking Ahead ~ 2012

Motivation.

What a word. Dictionary.com describes it as, "the act or instance of motivating, or providing with a reason to act a certain way..."

More importantly, the Bible describes in many verses motivation and where our hearts should be.

~ But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness... (Matthew 6:33)

~ And let us not weary of doing good... (Galatians 6:9)

~ Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. (I Corinthians 15:58)

~ Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him... (Psalm 37:5)


These verses are just a sampling of sound instruction for our motivation. And like so many of us, I have often fallen short of seeking my motivation of the Lord and sought out the advice of others or even relied on my own (often-wrong) motivation.

The new year always seems to bring us into a sense of new opportunities. Some like to make resolutions (been there ain't doing that again!) but it sounds so, well, resolute and so most give up within three months. Some set goals for the year, a little more vague, but again, without the right motivation most of us won't reach those goals.

We need to seek the correct motivation in order to have a better chance to succeed. (Sorry, I hate using "chance" but it fit here). For example, if I had a goal to lose weight, that's not a bad goal, but let's face it, there is something in our rebellious spirits that as soon as we say we are going to do it, will fight us all the way. Some of that could be because we tend to overdo it (another lesson in the importance of discipline and self-control). And some could even be that the enemy wants us to feel defeated no matter what.

That is why motivation is so important.

Why would we want to lose weight? Is it to be healthier? Then maybe that should be the real goal/resolution. Being skinny would be a consequence of being healthier, as would a host of other beneficial things. Is it because we are the temple of God (I Corinthians 6:19), well all then all the more reason to change the goal and reap the benefits as a side, not the main purpose.

I'm not telling you what to do, goodness knows that could lead to a mess, lol. I am just offering some advice from someone who has been there and God has really been dealing with me to simplify and seek out the true heart of the matter and a lot of times that means finding the true motivation for why I have done things--good and bad. He's showing me how what I do and how I do it and why I do it affect others in my life and on this blog.

Last month (maybe even my last post) I had asked you to pray for me because I felt that somehow I had gotten away from the purpose of the blog and needed to seek God to find the purpose He intended again, not my own. Thank you, by the way for your patience during my absence and for the prayers. It means much. That said, God has shown me that I just need to keep my focus on Him (motivation) and He will do what He wants to do with it. If this blog grows, then great, if it only ever reaches one person, then great. I need to remember this.

So, with that, I look forward to getting back on track and talking with you again. I have missed you all greatly and appreciate you all very much.

I encourage you to also seek God and ask Him to show you the motivation of your heart. It's very eye-opening to say the least! :) But I think you'll be all the wiser and have a better foundation for doing all those things you do!

And now, bring on 2012! :)

Much love, hugs and prayers,

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tam! I needed to read this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness you are STILL alive!!! I have been waiting and waiting!!! Even sent a personal email...phew, just thought last night I wonder what happened to her. LOL - SO glad to see you are alive and well! XO

    ReplyDelete