Friday, March 29, 2013

What we show our God...

There is an article on The Washington Post website, written April 3, 2012, by Mark Driscoll (pastor at Mars Hill). It is titled What we tell our kids about the Easter Bunny. It came to my attention today on facebook and I've seen comments for and against it. If you would like to read the Post's article, you can do so HERE.

That article and this blog post are directed to those professing Christianity. It is from Mark Driscoll's title that I created this blog post title.

I'd like to give you some food for thought.

This is not a condemnation as I am the last wretch to accuse you. Especially as our family has done the bunny and egg thing. It would be hypocritical.  To be open here, I do buy my children a chocolate (sans basket) and I will not lie to that even that practice has weighed on my heart.  Yes, my children have done egg hunts at their grandparents' houses.  Consider this however you will, though, I have been praying this year about God's direction and for the first time, neither side will be doing egg hunts.  Make of that what you will.

It is because I love you that I share what has been laid on my heart after years of prayer and study (Biblical and historical) and encourage you to seek God for the final answer--not me and not even Mark Driscoll.  Only God has the Truth.

I present an argument:

If I were to go out on a date with another man, my husband would consider that cheating.

If I were to kiss another man, my husband would consider that cheating.

If I were to become emotionally intimate, even with no physical affection, my husband would consider that cheating.

Cheating = Adultery

In the Gospels, Jesus told us that to look upon another with lust in our hearts is a sin, so if I were to lust after another man, my husband could rightfully consider that adultery.

The tiniest part of my affection and attention that I give to another man would mean less that I have to give to my husband and would be considered adultery in my heart.

That is physical adultery.

We are taught in our Bible and churches that we are the Bride of Christ and that our physical marriages are a reflection of our relationship with Jesus Christ. 

Could we be guilty of spiritual adultery?

What happens when we mix our love for God with our love for things of the world? 

One tiny element here.  One little bitty item there. A little leaven.

What are we showing our God about our love for Him when we do?

What do you think?

Listen, you have to seek God's will for your family.  If it includes eggs and bunnies, that is between you and God.  I will not condemn you because I am not walking in your shoes and do not know where God has you at this moment.  We are all being refined by Him, and the dross in our lives comes out at different times. 

Bear in mind though, that because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are "interesting" Christians who "write end-times charts on ammo boxes in crayon," nor are they necessarily legalistic pharisees. 

If we think that another is in error, should we not 1) seek God's will to make sure we are walking in it and 2) lift them up before the Lord instead of calling them names and publicly denigrating them?   If we feel strongly about something we can express it in a Godly way without belittling others.

What we do, what we say, how we say it and what we share in real life or online will impact our witness.  (Yes, I have had to repent of this myself, many times.)

I simply ask that you think on these things, more importantly, pray on them and let God lead you.

Hugs,




SCRIPTURE REFERENCES:

Exodus 20:14 ~ You shall not commit adultery.

Proverbs 6:32 ~ But who commits adultery with a woman lacks understanding:  he that does it destroys his own soul.

Matthew 5:27-28 ~ You have heard that it was said by them of old time, you shall not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

II Corinthians 6:14-17 ~ Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness?  And what concord has Christ with Belial?  or what part has he that believes with an infidel? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be you separate, says the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

Ephesians 5:25 ~ Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, gave himself for it;

Galatians 5:7-9 ~ You did run well; who hindered you that you should not obey the truth? This persuasion comes not of Him who called you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump.





No comments:

Post a Comment